Each time I have a dinner party I have a list of things I need to do for it. The list inevitably becomes very long-so then it gets prioritized into 'Mandatory' and 'If I have time'. I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this, but I will say-I often am accused of trying to do too much....I may be related to Clark Griswald.
The Sorting Hat was on the more ambitious list-so I was happy to discover I had time to make it! And like many of my decorations for this party-it came together organically. For the photos I used a flash-but in the darker lighting-the shadows of all the creases on the hat were incredible!
- 1 1/2 yard brown microfiber cloth
- pillow stuffing
- pipe cleaners (about 4-5)
- hot glue gun
- large cake round
The Base is made with a small cardboard witches hat I got for $2 at Michael's. I glued pipe cleaners to the inside of the material to make his eyebrows. I formed them as closely to the original as I could-then glued them to the base itself.
The mouth was made in a similar fashion as the eyebrows.
After the eyebrows and mouth were glued to the base-I glued the cake-round to the bottom of the witches hat to better fill out the bottom. I didn't intend to have this hat be worn, but I feel if you're wanting to make one for that purpose-I would just use a plain witches hat for the base. For this particular party-I was going for cost effective!
The face was the hardest part to make because he has such a detailed scowl! I recommend taking the most time with the face. Once you have that just right-then use the stuffing and hot glue to get the shaping and the fabric just right. In close-up of the original sorting hat-there are lots of seams, scratches and stitches-making this project a lot of glue-n-stick! He's perfect in his imperfection!